Trumpeter 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet "Pukin' Dogs"

Dudes, post your WIP's in here.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Modeling discussions, new products, models your're working on.
Finished models now go on The Aurora Chair forum.

Re: Trumpeter 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet "Pukin' Dogs"

Postby Dasphule » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 am

Well, I ended up sanding the rest of the night. The 3 fuel tanks are done, though, as are all of the pylons. I also spent some time looking for a different scheme, and it looks like what I've got is it, the digital Super Hornet is an "F" model. I don't have that one...yet.

In the search though, I found a build thread at ARC about the F-18F, basically the same kit with two seats, and it had several little tips on assembling this beast. One I didn't notice was the slime lights on the tails are raised. Weird, because the ones on the fuselage sides aren't. Anyway, slime lights are flush with the surface of the plane, so I scraped and filed them off. I'm also glad I didn't glue the intakes to the lower hull, the writer said if you did it before the hull is glued you're screwed. It'll leave a huge seam. Dodged that bullet!

Time for bed. I'll be fiddling with it later today between pours. Stay tuned.

Erin
<*>
Attachments
DSCN2093.JPG
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby Dasphule » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:02 pm

More fiddlin with the fit issues. I tried test fitting the ailerons to the wings and there's a huge gap between the inboard and outboard. Well, more than should be there anyway. So I scabbed on some sheet styrene to widen the aileron and close up the gap some. Still a gap there, but now it's not a glaring hole.

Next I turned to the outer pylons. The online build I've been reading brought this one to my attention. For some reason Trumpeter didn't put pins on the outer pylons, they molded on these raised areas on one edge that are supposed to key into depressions in the wing bottoms. Only problem is that those pylon parts are on sprues that are identical, meaning that both have the raised area on the same side. If built this way, one pylon would be inboard by a substantial amount. So, I shaved off one of them and glued on some sheet styrene on the opposite side to make mirrored pylons.

I've also been reading that this is a tail sitter when done, so I glued some poor metal figure's legs and waist into the nose. Not much weight, but hopefully it'll be enough with the additional weight of the resin pilot.

Been reading that the wings are a nightmare to install and that one guy had to put styrene spreader bars into the hull to get gaps closed. Yay. I also have to figure out some sort of mounting solution for the horizontal stabs, the mounting "pins" they provide only protrude from the edge of the stab 1mm. Brass and block styrene is in my future.

Man, can I pick em or what?

Erin
<*>
Attachments
DSCN2094.JPG
This is just too big a gap.
DSCN2095.JPG
Sheet styrene scabbed on.
DSCN2096.JPG
Fixed pylons.
DSCN2097.JPG
End result of aileron surgery.
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby Dasphule » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 am

After some digging, I found several more reviews on this kit and one in particular was quite helpful. It seems that the gargantuan box of weapons is mostly useless crap. The AIM-120s are the wrong versions, they're A and B models when they should be C models. The AGM-84H, which is a way groovy cool looking cruise missile, is molded with the wings extended, so it can't be put on the plane. The AGM-84A can be used as a D, but needs markings, and the AGM-84E isn't even cleared for F-18E. Neither targeting pod can be used, one of the bomb racks is not used on this plane, the other is only used for the little training LGTR bombs. The AMD-141 distraction drones aren't used on the "E", and the most puzzling of all, the GBU-22 is not only not used on the F-18E, it's not even in the US arsenal. The AIM-9X is also an abomination and can't be used, the shape is completely wrong.

So, out of that big box, only six GBU-12, 2 AGM-154 JSOWs, some training bombs and some questionable AIM-120s and AGM-84As that might be able to be converted to Ds are useable. I have 3 3000lb JDAMs here from other projects, and can probably scrounge up some other weapons. I wonder what's in the Academy boxes...

Hey Trumpeter, why bother if you're not gonna get the damn things even close. I know you're in China and all, but damn dudes, Google gives plenty of refs! For shame.

Erin
<*>
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby Valkyrie013 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am

What a Bitch Kit... sheesh..

is this usually trumpiter's attention to detail, or is it just this particular kit?

good luck polishin the turd! :?
Whats the Password?
"If the Boobs don't Shake, There not Boobs at all!"
Valkyrie013

Postby Kylwell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm

If you should ever need a list http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/index.html

Somewhere I used to have an up to date listing of various aircraft load outs. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Again, Trump just dumps a bunch of out of date weapons to bump up the sprue numbers.
joyless fuck nazi
Kylwell

Postby Godfather » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Dasphule wrote:Well, I decided to bang out one of the raffle winners.

Guess it's a good thing you didn't buy this thing. What a turd. :roll:

Probably Trumpeter subcontracted this kit to Wave or Koto... :lol:
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Postby Dasphule » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Trumpeter has a rep for releasing highly desired yet severely flawed product. Occasionally they'll get lucky and release a decent kit, but pretty much all their kits have at least one major problem. Even if there weren't fit or accuracy problems, their total disregard for detail and soft molding of some parts while others are sharp is just maddening. In the articles I read about this kit last night I discovered there's actually tons of stuff about this kit that's wrong but eould just be too much trouble to fix. Basically Trumpeter will get you part of the way, bu t it's up to you to make it accurate.

Then again, when you're the only game in town for most of these subjects in 1/32, you can kinda get away with putting out half assed junk. The thing that pisses most fplks off isn't that the kits are inaccurate, it's more that the kits cost way more than the equivalent Tamiya kit would but don't deliver near the quality. If they were dirt chep no one would bitch. For example, both Trumpeter and RoG make a 1/32 Eurofighter Typhoon. Trumpeter's is apparently a horrid inaccurate pile of crap, and Revell's isn't much better. The difference is that the Revell costs $40, the Trumpeter is $120!

Erin
<*>
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby Dasphule » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:47 pm

After 2 years, it's getting close! Did the wash on her last weekend, finishing up the stores tonight. She'll be ready for Nationals for sure!
Attachments
20140708_193941.jpg
20140708_193932.jpg
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby Godfather » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Fronkonsteen.jpeg
Fronkonsteen.jpeg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Postby The Mad Klingon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice build report! The wheel wells look great!
Secretary of Art, Education and Chocolate Starfishes.
The Mad Klingon

PreviousNext

Return to Harvey's Workshop