Academy 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle

Dudes, post your WIP's in here.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Modeling discussions, new products, models your're working on.
Finished models now go on The Aurora Chair forum.

Academy 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:14 pm

Picked the kit up at modelpalooza, started it instead of going back to work on my idolmaster lol
Been working on the cockpit, it isn't exact but I've been sort of winging it since the instructions say "grey, black" etc instead of a decent color guide so I did my best to make it close to the reference photo I was using.
Attachments
image.jpg
I swear, I had something for this
JonintheRedZ28

Re: Academy 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Made plenty of progress
Used the nozzles that match the references of the decals I have for mountain home afb, currently researching what loadouts they used. Going to have to locate some pilots to add as well
Attachments
image.jpg
First time i ever painted a cockpit, satisfied with it, could be better but i need more experience
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Duraluminum collar and jet exhaust nozzles
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The wing roots and horizontal stabs were the only bad seams really
JonintheRedZ28

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:37 am

Made more progress, began painting, showed it to someone who pointed out that the conformal tanks had not been added...
Stripped paint and added them and resprayed
Waiting for the decals to come in and ordered a set of NATO 48th scale weapons that contains several of the armaments an E would carry so waiting for those before I do the stores, all it comes with are four sidewinders, four sparrows and an asm-135 asat.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
JonintheRedZ28

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:06 am

I did things!
And possibly some stuff too. The Too Long, Didn't Read Summary: Murphy happens, I sometimes do dumb stuff, could be worse, could be better, I did repair some issues and created new ones.
Yes kenny the ordnance is hand painted, I know it's not particularly pretty but meh, did not feel like firing up my compressor, also don't have decals for anything except the AIM-9Ms from the Tamiya F-16CJ I recently finished, the SDBs and SLAM-ERs are skunk US/NATO set and the jdams and paveway and amraam are from the Kinetic F-16MLU I have (that one's an air show bird so I figure it will live without its ordnance). Though Kinetic didn't package both weapon sprues so I changed my initial idea of a cas load with two jdams and a rack of sdbs port under an aim-9 and amraam opposite two paveways on the fastpac and a paveway on the centerline to sdbs on the fastpacs in front of a small jdam and a small paveway, with the slam-ers and aams outboard, also had to leave off an amraam and my idiot self mounted the armament reversed of how I wanted (i wanted the jdam and amraam to port with the paveway and lone sidewinder to port but I was holding the plane nose down, jolly good show) but either way, despite its multitude of problems (the landing gear mounting points were substantially larger than the actual gear so I got to keep realigning them and watching them slip loose until I finally got pissed off and poured huge globs of superglue atop the cement to at least lock the damn gaps so the gear would stop wobbling loose when I set the model down to test the gear, and the canopy to the starboard side didn't line up at all so I built the frame out using putty, it... Isn't pretty) and yes erin the actual mounts for the weapons are not there and they are all glued directly to the pylons, sue me, the kit had four sidewinders and an ASAT and none of the other armament had the adapters/mounts on them (skunk didn't provide any mounting except the rack the sdbs are on, I used the mounting for the tamiya sidewinders on the F-16 and the Kinetic weapons I could not locate adapters, pretty sure they're molded into the pylons though I honestly didn't even bother to check. Because by this point this F-15E is named Murphy. Pretty much anything that could go wrong-usually due to my own ineptitude though- has gone wrong. Pylons snapped off, the kit instructions told me to drill out the further out pylon mounts (yeah eagles don't seem to actually use those that I can find, especially beagles with their utterly ridiculous amount of hardpoints and loft weight), every little blade antenna has been replaced like.... A lot. A lot a lot. I somehow managed to kick it over and snapped one of the tail caps off and was barely able to reinstall it now that the original locator marks are gone in the original cement, I had tons of issues with the decals (was not ready for two bobs/microscale printed thin decals at the time, probably still holds true) so shit just got slapped on because screw it. Time for ordnance, trying to complete something, anything, right now.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is actually exactly how I was holding it mounting crap to it
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
JonintheRedZ28

Postby The Mad Klingon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:15 pm

AWESOME!
Secretary of Art, Education and Chocolate Starfishes.
The Mad Klingon

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:54 pm

This thing has way more panel lines than I expected and it's my usual random: some decent lines some horrid
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
JonintheRedZ28

Postby Godfather » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Hurry up and finish. The Mad Klingon is getting mad. :mrgreen:
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Godfather wrote:Hurry up and finish. The Mad Klingon is getting mad. :mrgreen:

Lately I've been attempting to figure out a way to tone down the panel lines but also hit a little snag with this and the F-8E I'm working on when I chopped my hand open with an exacto and have had a lot going on the last couple weeks so I haven't done any work on anything in a while.
JonintheRedZ28

Return to Harvey's Workshop