Pegasus Dinosaurs

Dudes, post your WIP's in here.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Modeling discussions, new products, models your're working on.
Finished models now go on The Aurora Chair forum.

Pegasus Dinosaurs

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:24 am

I've been practicing dinosaurs on the Pegasus Tyrannosaurus Rex and Spinosaurus Aegypticus, I'm happy with the overall color schemes (the Rex looks better up close where the Spino looks better a little farther away) the Tyrannosaur was originally going to be reddish-brown but when I mixed tan and red it turned fuschia and dried closer to pink so I resprayed it Interior Green before drybrushing the stripes on using Vallejo black green, with a mix of squid pink and transparent red for the interior of the mouth with hexed lichen irises with a bonewhite/scrofulous brown belly and scorpion green lacrimal ridges, the Spinosaur is model master olive drab mixed with.... Something (it was a little while ago I forget exactly which color, my guess is dark tan and maybe some grey?) on top with vallejo desert yellow/beasty brown/cold grey on the underside being pure vallejo bonewhite, with black glaze spots and fire orange eyes/lacrimal ridges, with a bloody red/squid pink mouth. The claws on the Rex are wolf grey mixed into bonewhite, the teeth are straight bonewhite, and the spinosaur's claws and teeth are all dead white. The triceratops is dark tan model masters with vallejo beasty brown cow spots (holstein style!) Both dinosaurs have citadel "blood for the blood god" blood effect over the entire tongue (attempting to get them red but leave them slightly shiny for a "wet tongue" look), both have been flat-coated (the spinosaur over the initial "crocodile green" but not over the vallejos yet) and the last thing I did was load my rapidograph and draw on slit pupils. Anyone have any suggestions on washes/how to define the skin better? All suggestions appreciated
Oh, the Rex is painted to look like the movie Rexes from the Lost World after the red-brown fell through, and the spinosaur is supposed to be reminiscent of a Nile crocodile. I've been considering respraying the sail in russian topside green again, I'm not wild about how the drybrushed sick green came out on it, though I've also considered doing it in some kind of striping. I'm planning to reshade the mouths with a little more red and transparent red to make the dinos look less pink (especially the rex she looks like she's been guzzling pepto bismol imo).
And yes, I did in fact try googling tips for how to define the scales/scutes/etc and got a mixed bag of mostly useless ideas or vague answers, coupled with a bucket of articles about skin impression fossils and how to paint 2D dinosaur skin which doesn't exactly help me.
I swear, I had something for this
JonintheRedZ28

Return to Harvey's Workshop