Academy 1/48 F-117A

Dudes, post your WIP's in here.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Modeling discussions, new products, models your're working on.
Finished models now go on The Aurora Chair forum.

Academy 1/48 F-117A

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I have been in a little bit of a slump lately, so I'd had Sarah pick a new project for me to work on. She selected out of the mountain of kits laying around the Academy 1/48 scale F-117 Nighthawk. I picked this up at Jaxcon in 2015 for think 25 or $30. It's a pretty nice kit it's well detailed it's very simple is a good choice for me to put together, I had been working on a Polish PZL P.11 C, but not very hard. It's pretty simple, upper fuselage, lower fuselage,lower wings, gear,weapons bay details and doors and stuff. Everything fit pretty well, the only issues I had with fitting were from me not paying attention to things or forgetting to add ballast and having to slice the plane back open to add ballast to the front.
After I added the ballast though I managed to nearly dropped the plane and get glue all over the canopy inside of the aircraft so I had to sand all that down and fix that after I put the plane back together. Once it was all buttoned up I decided I needed a coat of primer so I primed it with Mr. Surfacer. Even though the plane built fairly well, there are some Sink marks in some pretty inopportune places. I cleaned up where I messed up the canopy with a bit of sanding sticks I sliced up and wrapped on a pair of tweezers to polish out the lines. My cockpit is not very accurate in terms of color, but I like how it turned out. I'm debating whether or not to go down and get tamiya NATO black or just use the gloss black I already have. I'm also debating now that I've seen your crafting gray, whether or not to do a gray test skiing, I've seen a few photos of that. Since it was Sarah's choice of project I'll probably get her opinion on that. It was so windy today that the primer was drying before it hit the aircraft, so it needs to be wet sanded before any other color goes on. Also even though my cockpit was in accurate, it looks good through the amber canopy. The kit comes packaged with a large cardboard piece that holds the upper fuselage together, my example was crushed so I had a warm portl The kit comes packaged with a large cardboard piece that holds the upper fuselage together, my example was crushed so I had a warped Port wing but it straightened out fairly well in the process of normal assembly.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Glue damage
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I swear, I had something for this
JonintheRedZ28

Re: Academy 1/48 F-117A

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Decided to just use the Tamiya gloss black
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
JonintheRedZ28

Re: Academy 1/48 F-117A

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:06 pm

While wetsanding the black to smooth it, I managed to flip the sanding stick to coarser grit while adding water, I attempted to repair with a brush but no dice, looked horrible, so I wetsanded the brushed paint off and went ahead and resprayed the damaged areas and bays/bombs today. I managed to get bleed-through on my hasty mask job so I turned my airbrush needle all the way in and touched it up, somehow succeeding at this without getting black everywhere. Some of the white needs a little more touching up but it's done for now. Once this coat is dry I am probably just going to use a brush to touch up the white where needed on the edging of the bomb bay doors and on the front wheel. Overall I'm beginning to go from frustrated to pleased now though.
Attachments
image.jpg
Still a little bit messy but I think it should blend in under the clear coats once the decals and wash and everything is done
image.jpg
image.jpg
Touched up
image.jpg
...not so little bleed through
image.jpg
Little bleed through and...
image.jpg
You can see the troubled areas in the starboard tail and the facets directly in front of the tails
image.jpg
Slapdash masking
image.jpg
Wet sanding mishap
JonintheRedZ28

Return to Harvey's Workshop