Old Assassin's Creed

Dudes, post your WIP's in here.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Modeling discussions, new products, models your're working on.
Finished models now go on The Aurora Chair forum.

Old Assassin's Creed

Postby Dasphule » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 pm

This is the FeR 1/12 Romero the Cat bust from their Forged Monkey line. The resemblance to the main character in Assassin's Creed is hard to ignore, so I'll be painting him in the same white cloak colors as in the game.

So, I started by priming with Games Workshop Corax White in a rattle can. The stuff is great primer, goes on smooth, no concealing of details, dries quick and has a decent tooth that isn't too rough. I then drilled the bust and the wood base I turned on my lathe, then used JB Kwik to glue them together. A brass tube was put in the holes between them for strength.

Once everything had a chance to set up, I got out my Scale 75 ScaleColor pain sets: Unnatural Flesh, Black and White, and the Basic Flesh set. The Unnatural Flesh colors are paler and have a sickly feel to them, perfect for a medieval, aging, probably malnourished assassin. I first put down two layers of Moonray Flesh, the lightest color in the set. Next I got out the Resurrection Flesh and did the main shadows from below. The hollows of the cheeks and under the chin got extra coats to darken them more.

Next, as I usually do, I started on the eyes. I began by painting the eyeball white. Usually you'd use a very light grey or really light flesh tone for the eyeball, but I have plans that will temper the white later on. Next came black to form the outline of the iris, painted as a black circle making sure both eyes are looking the same direction and that the top and bottom of each black circle is hidden by the eye lids to avoid the bug eyed look. Once the black dried, I got out some Dark Green and filled the black circles, leaving a thin black line around the green. I then mixed some white with the green and picked out some flecks in the green area. Back to the black, a dot was added in the center of each eye for a pupil. Finally, a small catch light was added to each eye in the same place with straight white.

Moving on, some Resurrection Flesh was tinted darker with African Shadow from the Flesh set. This darker color was played in in extreme shadow areas; under the chin, right under the cheek bones, under the brow in the eye sockets, under the smile lines, and on the innermost edges inside the cloak where the head meets the hood. I thinned out some Resurrection Flesh and added a teeny tiny bit of Bloodfest Crimson. This ultra thinned mix was used to blend the shadow areas to the base color, providing an intermediate color between the two and softening the edges. The mixture was only dabbed along the edges where the two colors meet. After several applications the colors blended nicely. This same mix was darkened slightly with African Shadow, then applied to the wrinkles on the forehead, cheeks, and on the lower areas of the sunken cheeks.

To give him a weathered look, some Bloodfest Crimson was added to the Moonray Flesh and a little Resurrection Flesh to make a pinkish color. This was then applied to the nose tip and nostrils, along the tops of the cheeks, and around the mouth and lips.

At this point I generally block in the hair to see how the flesh looks with the hair color. For this aging Italian assassin I chose black as a base, first lighted with a dark grey, then highlighted with pure white to simulate greying. Once I had it the way I wanted it, I moved on to what I call "character coloring". I mixed up a pinkish flesh color using several of the colors already used, visually checking that it was different than anything so far used. This color was dabbed randomly on the highlight areas to give a splotchy look to the pale skin. After application, I once again used a thinned mix of Moonray Flesh to go back over the highlights, covering the added splotches transparently to achieve the splotchy look. You really have to look closely to even see it, and it doesn't show up in pictures, but it's there.

So, next session I start on the cloak and hood. Yay, whites! Difficult for everyone, white seems challenging until you just break it down into shadows and highlights like every other color. I'll see if I can do it again! Stay tuned...or not. Whatever. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it? So what? Nevermind.

Erin
Attachments
20160626_214025_HDR.jpg
20160626_211808_HDR.jpg
20160626_204501_HDR.jpg
20160626_202626_HDR.jpg
20160626_195129_HDR.jpg
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Re: Old Assassin's Creed

Postby Dasphule » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Done.
Attachments
20160704_194248.jpg
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby The Mad Klingon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:37 am

The subtle flesh tones is impressive especially around the eyes. Well done.
Secretary of Art, Education and Chocolate Starfishes.
The Mad Klingon

Postby Godfather » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:08 am

Incredible what smearing a little paint and moving it around until it looks good can do. :lol:

Awesome. 8-)
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:58 pm

You can only hire the Hipster Assassin at your local Starbucks!
The definition in the white looks great
I swear, I had something for this
JonintheRedZ28

Return to Harvey's Workshop