JMD Miniatures 65MM Sous Officier de Uhlan Prussien 1914

Can you handle fair and unbiased opinions of your work? Great! Post it here. No? Then please don't. No ass-kissers here. If your model rocks you will know it and if there is room for improvement we'll suggest a technique to improve the model.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Rules are you can't bitch about someone's opinion of your build, you have to take the criticism for what it is and then it's up to you to decide whether or not to fix your mistakes. ANYONE can post their work for review. And please, no more "nice work" and "sweet job" comments. You KNOW there's something wrong with it, TELL ME so I can fix it.

JMD Miniatures 65MM Sous Officier de Uhlan Prussien 1914

Postby Dasphule » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:13 am

Or in a language you can understand, he's a Prussian Lancers NCO circa 1914. Yes, I still build models, just not as often as I should. Snuck this one in between everything else, been making a point to work on something every day for at least an hour or I'm gonna go apeshit crazy.

ANYWAY, this one is an amazing sculpt. Michigan Toy Soldier sells them for $42.99, I snagged this one at a show for $22. It's probably one of the nicest figures I've ever worked on. Everything fit perfectly, the details are crisp and sharp, casting was up to snuff, just a great kit. The only thing I changed was to replace the resin lance with brass rod and added the cords hanging off his hat. I primed it with Gunze Mr. Surface Primer, then set to work with the Andrea and Vallejo acrylics. Took me some getting used to, basically had to re-learn how to use the damn things, but I think it turned out ok in the end. I'm still not sure I'll switch over to them exclusively, but they're fun to use. I know they don't photograph on macro well! In person this figure looks tight. In photos, like most acrylic painted figures I've seen, it looks like shit.

Skin tones were done with Andrea's Flesh set. If you hate painting figures but need them for dios and vehicles, go get this set and learn it. It makes flesh tones easy. Most of the rest of the colors are Vallejo, mainly because it's all I can find locally, and Mark helped with some to find that perfect shade of green. Ground work is just the kit base painted up with some static grass and random foliage added to break it up some. The base, which LOOKED good at WF when I bought it turned out to be not so great. Seams are showing in some places and the bottom of the base is where all the beautiful burl is! Not bad enough to replace it, but not as nice as I wanted it to be.

So, at I'll have at least one new thing to enter at Modelpalooza!

Here's the pics!
Attachments
Prussien1.jpg
Prussien2.jpg
Prussien3.jpg
Prussien4.jpg
Prussien5.jpg
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Re: JMD Miniatures 65MM Sous Officier de Uhlan Prussien 1914

Postby Godfather » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Awesome as usual dude. 8-)

Dasphule wrote:I know they don't photograph on macro well! In person this figure looks tight. In photos, like most acrylic painted figures I've seen, it looks like shit.

Is that why the shadows on the face look a wee bit strong? Or is it just the lack of light?
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Postby Mark Yungblut » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:09 pm

I opened the image in paint.net (a very cool free app) and adjusted the levels. Looks less crappy...

Prussien2.jpg

Nice job as usual.
He's a "self righteous asspirate"...

-Paraphrasing our beloved Dasphule...

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Mark Yungblut

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Having seen it in person, pictures don't do it justice, fantastic job
I swear, I had something for this
JonintheRedZ28

Postby Dasphule » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:05 am

This won gold in Unmounted, 54mm to 70mm, Post 1900 figures at the 2014 IPMS Nationals.
Put this in your mouth.
Dasphule

Postby The Mad Klingon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:44 am

The perfect subject for the 100th anniversary of WWI!
Secretary of Art, Education and Chocolate Starfishes.
The Mad Klingon

Return to The Aurora Chair