To Base, or Not to Base...

Can you handle fair and unbiased opinions of your work? Great! Post it here. No? Then please don't. No ass-kissers here. If your model rocks you will know it and if there is room for improvement we'll suggest a technique to improve the model.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Rules are you can't bitch about someone's opinion of your build, you have to take the criticism for what it is and then it's up to you to decide whether or not to fix your mistakes. ANYONE can post their work for review. And please, no more "nice work" and "sweet job" comments. You KNOW there's something wrong with it, TELL ME so I can fix it.

To Base, or Not to Base...

Postby Beausabre » Sat May 24, 2014 7:07 am

That is the question, particularly since WF has counted the base as part of the score, unlike IPMS rules.

The particular question is whether to diplay the Falkë with or without the base. My options are on the terrain base (which has a few rough edges) or on the invisible "flight stand" seen in those photos. The negative side of using the invisible base is that I ballasted the model fairly heavily around the terrain base mount point, so it's CG pretty off-center from where you'd expect. That may cause stability issues on the invisibility stand.

What say you?
Beausabre

Re: To Base, or Not to Base...

Postby The Mad Klingon » Sat May 24, 2014 11:16 am

I am pro-base.

I believe a base adds visual interest and can provide scale. It doesn't really apply here but I like to think subconsciously a base will add points to the build. Another good idea is to make your base a few inches tall, this will place your work above other, similar builds.

Shit, while you are at it. Add a turntable for motion. This will really catch people's eyes.
Secretary of Art, Education and Chocolate Starfishes.
The Mad Klingon

Postby Kylwell » Sat May 24, 2014 11:49 am

I've very pro base. Even if it's just a simple black box or plate. To me a base finishes the build. I'd go with the terrain base.
joyless fuck nazi
Kylwell

Postby Godfather » Sat May 24, 2014 12:53 pm

If yer going to WF, go all out bay-bee! :mrgreen:

Them judges are all about the wow & the flash, dontchaknow.
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Return to The Aurora Chair