Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion Sorceror

Can you handle fair and unbiased opinions of your work? Great! Post it here. No? Then please don't. No ass-kissers here. If your model rocks you will know it and if there is room for improvement we'll suggest a technique to improve the model.
This forum is visible to the world.

Moderators: Dasphule, Godfather

Forum rules
Rules are you can't bitch about someone's opinion of your build, you have to take the criticism for what it is and then it's up to you to decide whether or not to fix your mistakes. ANYONE can post their work for review. And please, no more "nice work" and "sweet job" comments. You KNOW there's something wrong with it, TELL ME so I can fix it.

Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion Sorceror

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Let's call him Bob for short. Sprayed in alclad enamel candy blue with vallejo on top, glued to an A-10 vetical stab
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I swear, I had something for this
JonintheRedZ28

Re: Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion Sorceror

Postby Mark Yungblut » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Can you get a shot with just daylight? It's hard to see the details with a flash.
He's a "self righteous asspirate"...

-Paraphrasing our beloved Dasphule...

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Mark Yungblut

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:41 pm

[quote="Mark Yungblut"]Can you get a shot with just daylight? It's hard to see the details with a flash.[/quote]
I will take some fresh pics when I get back home from the tire shop where I have spent my entire morning so far
EDIT: as promised better lighted pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
JonintheRedZ28

Postby Godfather » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 pm

Lots better on regular sunlight. 8-)
"Hang on everybody, we're going to plaid!"
Godfather

Postby Mark Yungblut » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 pm

Overall I think your brush control is improving quickly.

On this piece I have a few observations:

I think there is too much metallic. Adding some non-metallic parts act as a visual break for the viewer.

I am guessing that the metallic are acrylic. I would seriously consider investing in some enamel metallic paints. They tend to have a MUCH finer pigment. Acrylic metallics at this small scale can look “chunky”

My last observation is in line with what we discussed at Wonderfest. This piece really could use some highlighting and shading. Have you explored the black based metallic painting techniques that a lot of Warhammer and medieval armor modelers use? You dry-brush the metallic colors over the black and with each layer you lighten the base metallic so you get a graduated effect.

I think you have some great stuff going here John. Keep up the good work! I also think that you are at a point where you can think seriously about trying new techniques. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn’t work and you strip it and start over. Ask Erin It happens and has happened to both of us…
He's a "self righteous asspirate"...

-Paraphrasing our beloved Dasphule...

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Mark Yungblut

Postby JonintheRedZ28 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:30 pm

I'll work on some shading to break up the metallics. The bulk of the metallic is enamel alclads, the silver for the horns and icons and the gold is vallejo metallics but the other colors are all non-metals. If I can find my dead white I'll redo the two skulls on the backpack in bone colors and probably redo all the silver skulls as bone color all over the model
JonintheRedZ28

Return to The Aurora Chair